Monday 17 December 2012

Hanging out with a Toddler


I want to take a moment to share my observations from a morning hanging out with my toddler. I am continually amazed by the imagination and resourcefulness of my daughter as she plays. I love watching how she utilises all that is around her.

Today, to name but a few, she has used a candle as her cake, singing bowls as saucepans, the cupboard as an oven, snowflake confetti left over from lantern making as further food, a Christmas card as something Poppa has (I missed what this actually was), the washing up basket as a bath for baby, a cushion was her wheelbarrow and she has walked her dog the balloon.


 The random household/toys that have been utilised this morning

Alongside her imagination I love her curiosity that drives her need to learn about everything around her. Whilst she was busy cooking I took the opportunity to do some very long overdue filing, so we were busy together doing our own activities and sharing space. It was not long before she came over to see what I was doing and asking to do it herself. So I showed her- it was great watching her learn to place the paper in the hole punch, helping her push down, then how to line up the paper with the rings and get the holes over the rings. Then Teddy was spotted and it was his turn- what I loved about this was that I suggested she show Teddy how to do it- which she did. It was fascinating watching her teach Teddy as I had taught her.


Teddy, the oven, the file and the hole punch

So what has my daughter been learning this morning- 
  • How to be resourceful and make use of the materials to hand
  • How to be in the world- cooking, filing
  • How to teach and show someone how to do something
  • Working together on an activity
  • How to be patient and precise  
  • How to file and use a hole puncher!
 So what have I been reminded of-
  • Less is more- little ones do not need complicated toys to amuse themselves
  • Little ones are interested in what we are doing- they want to learn about the everyday world 
  • Keep it simple- give imagination space to create
These are all important elements that I try to bring to my baby art classes, as time and time again I see that by keeping it simple I give the babies space for their imaginations to grow, to learn about their environment and have free rein to their creativity. 


The results of creative explorations

These times when my daughter and me simply share space and activities together- especially when we are in harmony and have time to be- are precious and it is great to be able to take the time to share and document my simple observations.

So what have your little ones been up to today?


No comments:

Post a Comment